Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 3 with Darya


We said goodbye to our daughter today. Though I wish she could go home with us now, I am happy to say that she is in very good hands. This baby home is very nice. The director - Dr. Ludmilla loves the children very much. We were given a tour where we saw a swimming pool, sauna, a place where they have tea parties, and the medical room where they are given sunlight in the winter by machine. She has a passion for the children that is indescribable. She is so thankful that Americans come there to adopt. Darya did not cry today when they brought her in... she laid her head on our shoulder for a few minutes and then wanted to get in the floor and play. Her most favorite thing was to eat her Gerber puffs (banana flavor). The first 2 days we saw her... she would cry briefly.. but would accept comforting. We were told that we would come back for court in 3 weeks. Of course... we know it could take longer. Hopefully, the letter the medical director will write regarding Darya's medical condition will have a strong impact and court will indeed be expedited.

We were able to get a picture of our daughter's birth mom for which we are very thankful. She is a beautiful woman.... not surprising as Darya is so pretty! I cannot wait to post pictures. Darya has lived in this baby homes since she was about 5-6 weeks old. It gives us great hope that her attachment problems will be minimal. She has a strong liking for her caregivers. We were told by the doctor that if she had been with an adopted family that she would most likely already be walking.

Our plan when we get home is to begin researching Spina bifida and the physicians in the area that might treat her. A special couple that we know has informed us that the Shriners have a hospital in Lexington, KY that treats Spina Bifida and it would be at no charge. Also, Vanderbilt hospital is an option. We were able to copy her entire medical record. Our international specialist will translate for us and we will be able to meet with physicans to discuss her case and make initial doctors appointments.

I will leave you with a sneak peak... enjoy!

5 comments:

Joe and Renae said...

Oh, I KNOW this must be so hard to leave her right now.....but like you said, you KNOW she is in good hands there until you go back to pick her up. It is good that you have that little bit of time in between so that you can do your research.

I just can't wait for you to get home so we can talk in more detail!

p.s. do they have gummi bear ice cream and fratatas (however you say it) in Russia? ha-ha

Anonymous said...

It is hard to say goodbye, but I know you are ready to see your handsome boys again. I will pray for a quick return for court (and hopefully they will waive the ten day wait due to surgery too). It sounds like you could possibly be home by Halloween. Wouldn't that be amazing.

So glad you've been able to talk to someone about hospitals close that treat Spinal Bifida. I volunteered at the Shriner's in Lexington while in college on Saturdays to play with the kids and it is a really nice facility. Glad they help with the surgery for no charge.

Safe travels home. Please call me next week and let's plan to do lunch!!

CV

Anonymous said...

I hope you two have a safe trip hope. I know the goodbye was hard, I know it would be for me, but it won't be too much longer before she is here and having a ball. She is going to love all of the attention I am sure. Well, hang in there and I will see you soon. Love Ya!

TP

MichelleD_NASH said...

Karen I am so happy for you and Kerry!!! This is amazing!!! As I sit here I just tear up with JOY!! I cannot wait to meet Dasha!! You know that if you use Vandy, you will have a place to stay!! Our house is your house!!!! I love you and cannot wait for you to bring her home.

Unknown said...

God had it all worked out before you even thought about adoption. I am glad things have gone well. We all miss you and wish you a safe journey back. God is good! Linda B