Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Week in the life of Darya!


All I can say is WOW!!!!!! What a week!!!! The week started with a visit from the specialist with early intervention who performed a developmental assessment. Per the evaluator, her development is very normal and above normal in some areas. On Tuesday, I took her for a hearing evaluation. The testing indicated that she has fluid behind both ears. Our hearing center does an excellent job with testing various areas of hearing. She most likely hears like she is in a barrel or has ear plugs. The audiologist recommended a visit to the Ears, Nose, and Throat (ENT) doctor. Immediately after I left the audiologist, I went downstairs and scheduled an appointment with the ENT for the next day. After that, I went over to the Social Security Office and completed an application for her card. We had received her Certificate of Citizenship in the mail on Monday. On Wednesday around midnight.. one of the most stress filled days in my life began. My oldest son woke up with a stomach virus, but I will spare you the gory details. I took Darya to her first Physical Therapy appointment at 9am. It was a whirlwind of information. The therapist told me that Darya's right leg is paralyzed from the knee down and that her left leg has partial paralysis from the knee down. She proceeded to put a temporary brace on her right foot and pull out a walker. I was in shock as I had not really considered that there was any major paralysis. She told me things like... don't put moisterizer on her knees because she has to build up callouses. Oh.. and she told me I would have to get a bigger size shoe for the right foot due to the brace. She also said that we would determine in the next few sessions whether she will need a brace for the left foot. The brace according to the therapist will be worn for the rest of her life to keep her foot straight and provide support. The walker is only to be used until she can walk independently. I posted of picture of her using the walker. She loved it at first but gets frustrated when she runs into furniture. I loved watching the big smile on her face... she's walking! After her physical therapay appointment we had a few minutes to eat breakfast before going to the ENT appointment at 1:15. The doctor recommended tubes because the fluid behind both ears is affecting her hearing thus affecting her speech development. He took into consideration that she has reportedly had at least 6 upper respiratory infections since birth....and it is probable that many if not all of these infections have included ear infections. So.... we scheduled surgery for this Friday. Why so soon??? Well.. we have her MRI with sedation on Monday and will schedule her spinal surgury shortly thereafter. We felt that the spinal surgury might be postponed if she had any secondary infection like a ear infection going on in her little body. Also, I think having a minor surgury like tubes would be better to do now because after her major spinal surgury.... it could be more traumatic for her. So... please say a prayer for Darya. Her surgury is at 8am tomorrow. In spite of the very difficult, stressful day.... I was able to see God at work. When I was going into Walmart to purchase two pairs of tennis shoes, I prayed that the Lord would send someone to the shoe isle to help me. I was in tears trying to try on 8 different pairs of shoes that would work for her brace. Darya wears a 3 or 4, but I got a 6 for her right foot and a 5 for her left. God did answer my prayer by the way. A lady I know through my parents showed up. She had adopted a son a few years back who had to wear a brace like Darya's brace. She too had to buy two different size shoes. She helped me decide what to do and also hugged me while I cried. I love when God shows up in such a major way!!! A good night sleep cures anything. We slept until almost 10:30a this morning and my perspective and attitude is much improved. Just wanted to give an update and now I'm off to bed!!!

Thanks for your continued prayers!!! I'm praying that her paralysis is not permanent even though the therapist said it is and praying that the surgury on her spine provides relief versus further damage. Praying that Kerry and I will have wisdom and knowledge to make the right decisions related to her health care.

Karen

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, Karen,

I'm caught off guard by all this so I can multiply it by a billion I guess and then imagine what you felt like yesterday. You will look back at this time and see God's hand in this flurry of information and treatment. I think He wants her to feel better fast! Sometimes His timing is so slow, we think, but He's pushing you through this.

I'm not sure what I can do for you but pray that all along the way He sends you what you need to get through it all.

Karen

Anonymous said...

My Dear Karen,
I know you were handed a lot in a short period of time but God will not give you more than you can handle. As you mentioned you have already been given a loud and clear sign that He is constantly with you at your side. Prayers are being said for you all and remember that we are here for you 24/7...whenever you need to talk please call anytime.

Much love,
Deb, Keith and Erick

Karen said...

I thought of something. There are a couple of engineering classes that work on design projects each semester to provide customized equipment for children. For instance, a reduced size walker that might be more furniture-friendly or more flexible. They work with parents, therapists and the child to get the best design. If if a month or two you think "I wish we had ___" let me know and I can get you with a team. They work on cool stuff each semester that just makes life easier. They are especially good at trikes, bikes, adapting them to specific needs. Just let me know.

Karen

Jeff, Cindy, and Tiffany said...

Our prayers are with you all. I know you have alot on you and it is very stressful. However, I can't help but stop and thank God for delivering Darya out of Russia and into your home. Without your love and the adoption, she would probably have never had the opportunity to have the proper health care that she will now receive. She is one very lucky girl, no matter what her future may hold. God has put her on this earth and now in your home.
Love and prayers,
Cindy, Jeff & Tiffany