Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Results of MRI

Darya did really well on Monday with her MRI. Vanderbilt Children's hospital has been wonderful. We got to be with her while she was being sedated and even until we laid her on the MRI table. We had a pager so we were able to go eat and browse around in the gift shop while we waited. We picked up a cute little bear for her. When we were paged to recovery, I expected her to be crying but.... she was just drowsy. Within a few minutes, she was smiling and hugging her bear. She is a trooper!!! The hardest part of the day was when the nurse was putting in her IV. I don't think they quite believed me when I told them she is strong. On the first try, Darya managed to pull the IV out. On the second try, it took 3 people to pull it off. We saw the neurosurgeon a few hours later for the results. He confirmed that Darya has a lipomylomeningocele. Basically, Darya has the worst type but the best of the worst. The lympoma on her back is tethered with her spinal cord... but just a little bit. Dr. Tulipan said it was the best case scenario. He said the surgery would take around 2.5 to 3 hours and would require 3 days in the hospital. There is no risk of hydrocephalus. Also, there is only a 10% chance of re-tethering in the future. Basically, Darya will lead a normal life. No other surgury is expected. He does concur with the physical therapist that her right leg below the knee is paralyzed. He also noted that her left leg below the knee is weak but not paralyzed. Risks of the surgury include possible worsening of her weakness.. but.. we'll pray for God's hand of protection. I just know that the Lord has big, big plans for this little girl. She is so precious in His sight!!!! She is here with the Ledbetter clan for a reason. We are now praying for a quick surgury date. The doctor said it could hopefully take place before Christmas. I explained to him that we want to do it ASAP because I go back to work mid-January. She goes for her second physical therapy appointment tomorrow. She will wear her temporary brace with no complaint but doesn't really seem interested in her walker anymore. Hopefully, I'll post soon about her surgury date.

Love to all!

Karen

7 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Karen - this made my day!! You are soooo right - she is with the Ledbetter clan for a reason and she is so blessed to have a family like yours. I'm so glad it's best worst case and pray you get a quick surgery date. Many, many hugs!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I have followed you since you picked up your girl in Russia. She is a sweet one. Our prayers are with you and your family. I agree with you that the Lord has a plan for Darya and your family. I am so glad you are getting this help early.

julie said...

this does sound like good news. she is so lucky to have come to you and now be on the road to recovery.

julie

Anonymous said...

What encouraging news!! So glad to hear this. We'll pray that you get a quick surgery date. Darya was indeed safely snuggled in the Lord's hands when He delivered her right to your family!

Will talk to you soon!

Love,
Deb, Keith and Erick

Nicole said...

Karen,
I will pray for a quick date for Darya's surgery. God does have big plans for your little girl! He led you both straight to her because you ,Kerry and the boys are part of these big plans! You are always in my thoughts and prayers!
Nicole

Carey and Norman said...

I enjoyed our visit today. We will be praying for Darya's surgery. What a blessing Darya is to your family and all those she meets. Her smile is contagious!!

Karen said...

We're right here thinking and praying for you both. I can feel a spirit of hope in both you and Darya. It is good that you are getting cooperation from doctors and caretakers to get things done in a timely fashion.

Karen